‘Tis the season for lights and decorations! It’s that time of year when the days get longer, weather gets colder, and holiday spirit is in the air. Decorating your home is a fun way to celebrate the season. Whether you go all out, or plan to keep it simple, here are a few safety tips for decorating your home this holiday season:
- Inspect lights and decorations for cracks, or damaged sockets or loose wires. These can cause defects, cause a serious fire, or shock.
- Plan your displays according to the number or electrical outlets, and avoid overloading them
- When possible, use battery-powered candles, instead of traditional candles; and when using candles keep out of reach of children and pets, and blow them out if you’re leaving the room
- Keep your decorations away from power lines or flammable items
- And don’t forget to unplug all lights and electrical decoration before leaving your home, or going to bed!
We wish you and your family a safe, and happy holiday season!