Settling into a new home can be a big adjustment. Moving involves a lot of planning and effort to make the process as smooth as possible. Once you get into your new home, there are a few tips to help you settle in more quickly and flawlessly:
1. New Address: It is important to file change of address forms with the post office so that your mail is sent to your new address. It’s best to do so before you move to make sure you don’t have the stress of missing important mail, and so bills in need of payment are not prolonged. You will also need to update your address in other places such as on your drivers license, voter registration, credit cards and for any subscriptions you have.
2. Store Important Documents: With all the chaos and clutter of moving, many things can get lost or temporarily misplaced in a big move. Be sure to keep important papers safe such as moving van documents and real estate papers.
3. Security: A lot of people may want to consider getting a security system if their home does not already have one. Also, consider changing your locks or make sure that they are changed before you move in. If you home is being built for you, most construction workers don’t put in permanent locks until right before you move in, but it doesn’t hurt to double check.
4. Double Check Repairs: Many repairs will have been taken care of before you move in. If there are any missed repairs, check that each item is attended to. A burned out light bulb, a chipped outlet cover, or a spot of touch-up paint that’s needed are typical items that can show up during a final walk-through.
5. Home Owners Association (HOA): It’s important to review your HOA rules, since each community’s regulations are slightly different. Find out what you can and can’t do in terms of renovations and decorations. Your HOA rules can also help you find out what the trash and recycling collection schedule is, as well as many other important details.